Volunteers contribute thousands of hours and countless talents to AIDS Action each year. With opportunities in more than 10 locations throughout Greater Boston, we’re likely to have a volunteer opportunity that fits your skills and schedule.
Check out our list of open positions below, and fill out our volunteer application indicating the opportunity in which you are interested. Alternatively, email your resume/summary of qualifications to email@example.com, indicating the opportunity in which you are interested!
Open Internship Positions
Summary: To learn about the work we do at the Needle Exchange, please visit http://www.aac.org/about/our-work/needle-exchange.html and https://www.facebook.com/CambridgeNeedleExchange.
Program: Needle Exchange Program
Job Type: Internship
Location: Cambridge, MA
Job Description: AIDS Action Committee of Massachusetts is looking for a compassionate, flexible, motivated, and dependable intern to join our Needle Exchange team in Cambridge. Interns will assist Health Educators with conducting enrollments and exchanges, engaging clients, providing resource information and referrals, answering phone calls and overseeing the drop-in space. Interns will also have the opportunity to work with outreach staff to conduct community outreach, create harm reduction resources, and maintain a presence on social media. This internship is appropriate for those considering a career in human services, social work, public health, or the medical field.
- Assist program staff in conducting exchanges and engaging clients.
- Assist clients in accessing resources and information on healthcare and social services
- Provide clients with guidance centered in principles of harm reduction
- Assist program staff with data entry on client tracking information.
- Ensure smooth operation of drop-in space.
- Complete other duties as needed
Required Skills & Experience:
- Ability to work patiently and persistently with clients and colleagues in order to ensure follow through and to function as part of a team.
- Strong computer skills required (familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel, and internet research necessary, familiarity with database systems and social media a plus).
- HIV/AIDS awareness and sensitivity.
- Familiarity with harm reduction and injection drug use, or willingness to learn.
- To apply, please send your resume and a cover letter to Meghan Hynes MHynes@aac.org . Start date is negotiable, preference given to applicants who can commit to Fall and Spring semesters.
Program/Department: Needle Exchange Program
Location: 359 Green Street, Cambridge, MA 02139
Open Volunteer Positions
AIDS Action is currently recruiting volunteers for the following positions:
Check-In accepts volunteer applications year-round.
Volunteers come in on Tuesday or Wednesday evenings and provide a consistent, caring connection by phone for people living with HIV/AIDS. Each volunteer has a set of clients they develop relationships with over time. Volunteers complement our case management services by helping clients work through problems and encouraging their successes. Volunteers report feeling very connected to their work and enjoy the warm and supportive team atmosphere.
The Check-In program has a critical need for bilingual English/Spanish, Creole, Portuguese and/or Cape Verdean Creole speakers. Persons with an aptitude for those languages are strongly encouraged to apply.
Location: 75 Amory Street, Boston, MA 02119
Sign-up to be on our mailing list for special events. When an upcoming event needs volunteers, you’ll be contacted to see if you can help out! Events include Taste of the South End, ARTcetera, AIDS Walk Boston, and more!
Location: Various Locations
Program/Department: Youth on Fire
Location: 1555 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge, MA 02138
Location: Various Locations
AIDS Action is NOT currently recruiting for these positions, but if you find something you’re interested in, check back often to see if our volunteer needs have changed:
Program/Department: Needle Exchange and Overdose Prevention Program
Location: 359 Green St Cambridge, MA 02139